MadleyHadley is no longer being updated. For similar posts by the author of MadleyHadley, visit Toad in the Garlic.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

First Asparagus of the Season

Asparagus.
Hadley is known far and wide for this early spring, stalky green crop.
And boy, did I hate it when I was a kid.  But somehow, I now love it; I look forward to the spring when I know I can pick up local asparagus from a stand in someone's front lawn on the way home from work.

Tonight, it was a bedtime snack(!).
This is how I fix it:
Baked, with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder at 350 for 15 minutes, give or take, depending on doneness (I like the stalks to still have some crunch to them).  Sometimes I add shallots to the mix.
So simple, it doesn't even seem worth writing out as a recipe.
How do you like your asparagus?  I'm looking forward to trying it grilled someday soon....

Hadley asparagus.  Currently available at your local roadside stand.
*******

1 comment:

kris said...

I like to pick a stalk from the garden and eat it right then and there.