MadleyHadley is no longer being updated. For similar posts by the author of MadleyHadley, visit Toad in the Garlic.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Ice Cream In January

It's the coldest day of the year so far, so I figured this was a perfect day to post this.  (No, this is not a recipe for snow ice cream.)

For some reason I start craving ice cream during the coldest months of the year.  It's kind of sad, seeing I'm always cold during the winter and most of the ice cream shops are closed.  I resort to take-home ice cream of the packaged variety.  Saturday was grocery day and on my list was ice cream, but I was only visiting two stores, so the pressure was on.

Trader Joe's didn't do it for me, so I passed up the frozen food aisle in hopes of finding something at Maple Farm Foods.  There I hit the jackpot and brought home a 1/2 gallon of Berry Best Strawberry by Maple Valley Ice Cream Company.
Ingredients?  Local milk & cream, sugar, native strawberries, natural stabilizers.
Reaction?  A spontaneous "yummm!"
Verdict?  Delicious

This ice cream is not syrupy or goopy; it is not bright fake pink; it is not overly sweet or overflavoured; it has a smooth crystally texture; it is light and fresh; and, it actually tastes like strawberries and cream, which in my opinion is a fabulous combination.
Not a strawberry ice cream fan?  There are many other varieties to choose from, so there's bound to be at least one to tempt your taste buds.
This is good stuff.
*******

2 comments:

Joseph Center said...

This reminds for some reason of Dad and his penchant for the crappiest neopolitan or buttered pecan in the store.

Make no bones about it, though: there is a place, and a strong one, for crappy icecream. It makes the good stuff that much better.

emily said...

And I do, of course, also partake of some of that ice cream, but I find myself drifting more and more to the "good" stuff.... Thankfully, it occasionally goes on sale!