MadleyHadley is no longer being updated. For similar posts by the author of MadleyHadley, visit Toad in the Garlic.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Emily Recommends This Book

When a month or so ago I saw that John Green was publishing a new novel, I got excited.  Ever since reading his first book, Looking for Alaska, I have not missed a single solo book of his.  (Not that that's been too difficult, as this is only his fourth solo book; but I also read Will Grayson, Will Grayson, which he wrote with David Levithan.)
I immediately put it on my library wish list and shortly thereafter picked it up  (yes, at the Hadley Library, in the teen section in the basement).  And what a fantastic book.  A can't-put-it-down-even-though-my-eyelids-weigh-sixty-pounds book.  A laugh-out-loud, shed-a-tear, laugh-out-loud-again book.  An even-though-I-usually-prefer-fantasy-and-science-fiction, I-am-in-love-with-this-book book.  About a girl with terminal thyroid cancer and the boy that sweeps into her life and the happy, sad, funny, sincere relationship they have while they live up being alive and in love.  Hazel and Augustus -- after meeting each other, their lives will never be the same.
The Fault in Our Stars
I know that cancer stories about kids and teens are an open invitation to sap (not the maple syrup kind) and painful introspection, but this story is a delight to read and definitely one not to be missed.  You can find a copy at the library (as soon as I return it).

If you're feeling brave, take a look at the video the author made the day before the book hit shelves.
*******

No comments: