MadleyHadley is no longer being updated. For similar posts by the author of MadleyHadley, visit Toad in the Garlic.

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Dreaming of Spring

Are you as excited as I am about the approaching spring?  I know with all this crazy weather it's hard to remember that spring is on its way -- but it is!  I started mapping my garden months ago and think I am finally ready to order seeds (from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, which includes Comstock, where I purchased seeds last year).  There are some amazing things that can be planted and grown in backyard gardens, and I'm excited to see what this year brings.

In preparation, I winter-prepped the garden with hay and compost, and I've been composting like mad all winter.  My garlic went in in October (4 varieties purchased at the garlic fest), and they're already showing little green spikes of growth.
This year my garden is going to be not-quite-typical for a small backyard garden.  I'm planning for native Narragansett corn, bush beans for soups and such, oats, white scallop squash, flax, stevia, and a variety of tomatoes and lettuces (of course).

Do you have experience growing oats, flax, or stevia?  Beans, oats, or native corn?  What do you do to make your garden a success?
*******

No comments: