MadleyHadley is no longer being updated. For similar posts by the author of MadleyHadley, visit Toad in the Garlic.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Blooms of Spring

March 5-March 20 marks the date for the Smith Spring Bulb Show at the Lyman Conservatory of Smith College.  The Spring Bulb Show is a wonderful preview of spring flowers -- tulips, daffodils, narcissi, crocus, hyacinths, cyclamen, forsythia, camellia, freesia, and more.  Mr. Madley and I went last night, and were exceedingly pleased -- the colours were vivid, the scents were intoxicating, and it felt just like spring!











 



I love flowers -- and I love spring. This is my second visit to the bulb show, and I can't even begin to tell you how happy it makes me -- so much beauty and hope compacted into that small space (especially after a winter like this one).  Today, during a walk around the yard (which is almost possible, with the melting and thawing), I discovered a few fresh shoots poking up out of the ground.  Not yet sure what they'll turn into, but I can't wait to see.

If you've never been to the Conservatory, I highly recommend it -- even outside of the special spring and fall shows.  There is a large variety of amazing plants organized into different collections.  More on the Lyman on a later post.

In the meantime, get to Smith for the bulb show.  Hours are 10-4 daily, 6-8 next Friday (March 18).  A donation of $2 is suggested at the door.  Go during the day or go at night -- just make sure to get there!

Mt Holyoke College also has a spring flower show going on.
*******

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I'm jealous! Note to self - go SOON! Last year I made it on the last day and the beautiful flowers were on their last root.

emily said...

Definitely go -- it's well worth it! So beautiful~

kris said...

I return to this post to warm up and feel spring. Thanks.